1. Enhanced Rate of Ordinary Family Pension is given to such widows of Ex-Servicemen who died before reaching the age of 67 years or 7 years from date of retirement. But in some cases when two year extension was granted w.e.f. 30 May 1998, some of the serving personnel did not opt for two years of more service. As per the rule position widows of such personnel who did not opt for two years more service were given Enhanced Rate Ordinary Family Pension only for 7 years or till the age of 65 years of husband on unfortunate demise of her husband. This has robbed them of higher pension for two years. The Enhanced Rate of OFP is same as pension of husband. Ordinary Family pension is only 60% of pension of husband where as Enhanced Rate is same i.e. 100% of husband’s pension.
2. Due to repeated requests made by many ESM Associations, Ministry of Defence (ESW) has now agreed to grant benefit of Enhanced Rate of OFP till age of 67 years of age of husband or 7 years from date of death to all widows whose husbands did not opt for two year more service w.e.f. 30 May 1998.
3. PCDA (Pensions) Allahabad / Prayagraj has now put up Circular 630 which has asked all Pension disbursing Agencies (banks, DPDOs etc) to work out arrears and remit them to such widows.
4. You may advise such widows of ESM to approach their CPPCs of banks to work out their arrears and remit them into their bank accounts. They are entitled to Dearness Relief on the arrears.
5. Circular 630 is attached.
Brig CS Vidyasagar (Rtd)